Sunday marked the beginning of Fear the Walking Dead on AMC with it the following reaction from myself: “Hmm”. It started very slow. Slow as a Walker in fact. The exact polar opposite of the “infected” from 28 Days later which I saw as one review comparison for the show. Zombie-centric is the only comparison I could see between the two franchises but it stops there. 10 quick hit first thoughts from premier viewing:
- Nick is younger Johnny Depp look-alike. I remember his name because they said it around 798 times in the episode
- I can’t remember her name but Saracen’s mom from Friday Night Lights wasn’t that good.
- The dad character was ok. He’s just trying to be the good guy which isn’t a bad thing
- Alicia was teenage angst personified
- Why was Nick wearing a half girl blouse-sweater thing at the very beginning?
- Nice foreshadowing with Tobias’ knife Saracens mom
- Tobias is like the McLovin’s character from How to Train Your Dragon for FTWD. He is a survivor and knowledge outlet, perhaps the Carol of this show?
- Nick really worked on his Edward Scissorhands crossed-over with Jack Sparrow walk when trying to show mom and pseudo-dad Cal’s “dead body”
- Nick’s zombie junkie girlfriend was cute..for a zombie.
- I hope all the other episodes are not this slow.
It’s honestly too soon to judge this show. I enjoy the genre and this is only a six-episode prequal season. Not sure if there is enough story there right off the bat to develop into anything, but it’s a zombie show with decent production. I think my initial reaction comes from not being 6 seasons and 100+ comics invested into a story and characters. I’ll take the “wait-and-see” approach to the West Side Walkers..for now.